Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Day 8

We got a bit of a plan today, if it's possible to “plan” anything when it comes to GVHD. IF all goes well, and that's a big “if”, here's the current scoop. The doctors came up with a more aggressive time line than I had expected. They gave me a limited list of foods that I can try eating, put me on a new drug to try and suppress the immune reaction, switched me to steroids by mouth AND started to wean them today with a plan to continue tapering them every couple days. Said that if I can tolerate all the changes and start to increase my calories they'd think about letting me go home in several days! I'll have to drive back to Omaha a couple times a week to allow them to keep a close eye on my progress, but at this point I don't care. 2 days on the road for 5 days at home is worth it! Once again they reminded me of my need to be patient and the fact that GVHD isn't all bad. Couldn't have GVHD without a successful “graph” so it's a good sign that the transplant worked and Keith's cells are strong and fighting.
January 5, 2011 was obviously not great, but could have been worse. Frozen lactaid milk with a packet of artificial sweetener is surprisingly not too bad and we got a couple hours of “fresh air” this afternoon. (side note – True Grit is a pretty good flick ;)
Thanks for all the uplifting verses and well wishes – none go unnoticed or unappreciated!

But you are a shield around me, O LORD; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head. ~ Psalm 3:3
 
The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with his Love, He will rejoice over you with singing." -Zeph 3:17