Thursday, August 12, 2010

What makes the difference?

Day 59 was a full one for me. Dad took us on an outing this afternoon to the airforce museum and then we checked out Mahoney State Park - a nice day trip and good break from the apt. This morning I was back at the hospital, all my labs looked ok - Hgb was in the normal range for the first time in months! The energy surplus is amazing ;) Platelets are still lower than I'd like but if we play by last year's rules, still high enough to participate in volleyball and flag football (if you don't ask your doc for permission).
I also had a PT consult and while I sat in the waiting room, doing the typical people watching, it hit home that medical tragedies can effect people so differently. There seems to be primarily 2 groups, maybe 3. One group comes out completely bitter, angry at the world, walks around with a chip on their shoulder, appearing completely satisfied being the victim. But there's amazingly another large group that comes out with a different outlook, more grateful and gracious, appreciating people and life. When working at Children's, the personality of children that had been through unbelievable trials were sometimes the sweetest, most patient kids. I guess there's also a 3rd group that emerges unaffected, but I think that is the exception. I don't really know why this hit me today and I don't have a deep conclusion to draw from it, just found it interesting and wondered what makes the difference. Is it grace, faith, personality...??? For me, I know that it is all about God's grace because my strength and patience (or lack there-of) could not have gotten me through this journey feeling the overwhelming peace that I have known. And for that, I am thankful!
"The Lord is my strength and my song; He has become my salvation..." ~Exodus 15:2
 
The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with his Love, He will rejoice over you with singing." -Zeph 3:17