Monday, November 7, 2011

A tentative plan!

I'll try to keep this brief yet cover all the basics as it's getting late and I'm a bit tired. Feeling a little better tonight now that I have at least a little bit in my stomach! The surgeon said that the amount of air is virtually unchanged from Friday so I had 3 options – 1. start clear fluids and then SLOWLY progress my diet to see what happens, 2. go to surgery and take out 2/3 of my colon, 3. go to surgery for a laproscopic “look around” and if things look bad or questionable, start removing my colon. To no surprise, I selected option 1! I was glad to hear that he also felt that to be the most prudent option. A little later in the afternoon, a GI doctor came for a visit and he had a little more information to share. Said that it's not very common but some people have “asymptomatic” air in their abdomen and that with time and conservative treatment it should resolve over 1-2months. That was a relief to hear! Unfortunately, the treatment is to address the cause of the air and they don't know the cause of the air so I'll be on antibiotics and a pretty boring diet for probably a couple weeks, lots of close watching and all with the understanding that if anything changes I'll be heading for the operating room. So, for now I'm on a clear diet. I might get to have full liquid diet sometime tomorrow and if I tolerate that, might get discharged on Wednesday. Lots of “mights”, but it's good to have a plan – the indefinite “watch and wait” was getting to be more than I could handle. Still have a long way to go so will continue to pray for an uncomplicated resolution. But, very nice to know that it is a possibility!
Thanks for all the prayers, thoughts and well wishes!
 
The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with his Love, He will rejoice over you with singing." -Zeph 3:17