Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Hold the phone...

First and foremost, thank you so much for all your prayers for healing without surgery, for patience on my part, and wisdom on the part of the doctors. I know that this latest ride is far from over, but it looks so much better today. The surgeons and doctors surprised me this morning with an offer to not only start a full liquid diet, but to go home this evening! They felt comfortable that if things were going to turn south, they would have done it over the past 4 days. I guess I should feel flattered that they trust my ability to watch for (and report) worsening of symptoms. You can't imagine how relieved I am to be able to go home and return to taking care of myself! (not to mention sleeping in my own bed, not being connected to an IV pole, and not being awakened with a labdraw at 4am!) So for now, here's the plan: I am free to go home, continue lots of meds and return to normal activities. Diet will be liquids for another day or 2 and then “progress” back to the diet that I followed last winter when I was resting my gut (white and bland- very limited fruits and veggies, no fiber, no meat, no taste :) All that being said, I'm actually very grateful for that diet because if not that, it was going to be an elemental diet which is basically already broken down liquids that taste terrible and are very expensive. Next week I'll follow up in Omaha and we'll revise the plan as needed. It's been a very long and at times stressful 5 days and I have NO idea the purpose of all this, but I've come to terms with not knowing and am ready to move forward, grateful for each and every day.

Father, I thank you that you have heard me. I know that you hear me always. ~John 11:42
 
The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with his Love, He will rejoice over you with singing." -Zeph 3:17