Monday, July 6, 2015

5 years - can you believe it?!!!

5 years or 60 months or 1825 days, no matter how you look at it, that's how long it's been since my transplant. Hard to believe how time can go so fast and yet so slow all at the same time. Praise God, there's really not much to tell, except that it's my 5 year Anniversary and I just completed the annual trip to Omaha. At UNMC they like to say that boring is good so I guess I've finally achieved “boring”. That's fine by me, just doesn't make very inspiring blog topics which is why these updates are becoming fewer and farther between. For those of you that continue to periodically check, I thank you. I feel like I have a special savings account or backup artillery – just knowing that I have a great group of concerned friends and family out there ready to support and pray if needed helps me face the reality that every day is a big unknown. Anyway, since not much has changed for me (which is a good thing), thought I'd use this entry as a platform to publicly thank my parents for their role in me reaching the 5 year mark. The number of prayers that went up from their lips is probably rivaled only by the number of hours they spent in hospital rooms or the number of silent tears that they shed as they walked through hell with me. Everything and anything; from Dad mowing my lawn when my immune system was too weak to be outside, to Mom helping me shower when I was too sick to stand. Dad driving across town to make sure I was ok when I failed to answer my phone was just a blip on the radar of how much concern was shown. As I'm writing, I'm realizing that I'll never be able to convey all the sacrifices that they made or recount all the loving things they did to hold me up. So, you'll just have to take my word for it that they went well beyond the call of duty. In closing, I'll share one of the prayers that Mom said over me nearly every night during our 4 month stay in Omaha. It’s a good one (she tweaked the words a little bit but I’ll give you the original):

“Loving peacemaker, into your gentle arms I place myself and my concerns, that I may be free of worry and anxiety. Bless my night with sleep so that I may awaken, renewed and refreshed, ready to receive the care You have provided.”
 
The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with his Love, He will rejoice over you with singing." -Zeph 3:17