Friday, August 1, 2014

Mid summer update 2014

Happy last week of July – one that's made especially happy by the fact that the skies are blue, the temps are in the 80's and my AC is turned off! Since my last blog entry was in May, I guess I'm once again past due for a little update. Things have gone well since April – it took about 4-6 weeks to recover from being in the hospital but that was just about perfect timing since I had a date with Mickey Mouse the beginning of June. Lisa, Connor, and Katie invited me along on their Disney cruise which I gladly accepted and am glad I did. An enclosed area with thousands of kids was definitely a test of my germaphobic inclinations. Between bottles of Purell, selective eating from the buffet and God's watchful eye I survived without picking up another cold! And with the exception of a tooth knocked loose, I think the kids also survived unscathed. Since then, summer has flown by – sand volleyball, Catholic Challenge Sports events, weddings, a few trips to cheer on the Royals and a couple fishing outings with Mom and Dad. I haven't made it water skiing yet, but hope to remedy that in August. My health has been about the same – caught my quarterly cold a few weeks ago which of course ended up as pneumonia. It was treated a little more aggressively than last spring which will hopefully keep me out of the hospital this time- I'm not quite off the medications yet but am feeling pretty much back to normal. Today I had my annual visit with Dr Vose in Omaha which went well – after 4.5 years of trips up I-29, she said that I didn't need to come back until next June! (I'm sure Dad will miss those drives). I have no doubt that the bumps of life will continue to come but at this point I just have to roll my eyes, shake my head and laugh with each new bump – I'm pretty sure that I'm getting close to a Guinness record of having the most body systems affected by chronic diseases. (I forgot to tell you that last week I was diagnosed with avascular necrosis of the femoral head – fancy way to say that I've lost blood supply to the part of the leg bone that hooks into the hip socket – that will earn me a hip replacement at some point) The way I see it, when I finally make it to Lourdes France or when God whips out the big miracle, it will be all that much more amazing and glorifying! All this is just setting the stage.
 
The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with his Love, He will rejoice over you with singing." -Zeph 3:17