Monday, July 18, 2011

Thankfulness

I can't count the number of times this weekend that I would see or do something and think how far I've come and how thankful I am. Thankful that I can walk up stairs, thankful that I can stand up without holding on to something, thankful that I can put my pants on while standing up, thankful that I can eat at restaurants, thankful that I can eat!, thankful that I can hang out with friends, thankful that I can help others, thankful that I can lift the groceries out of my car, thankful that I can genuflect before the alter, thankful that I'm not trying to sleep in the bathtub (which is what I was doing a year ago as my hands and feet were on fire), thankful that I'm spending my summer in KC, cancer-free! At some point in the not too distant past, I couldn't do these things and I think this flood of memories was good, not only to remind me to be thankful, but to help me be patient with my limitations. I can do so much, I need to not dwell on the little things for which I still strive to be able to do or the minor aches and pains that occasionally cross my path. All will come with time and I'm pretty sure that impatience and whining won't get them here any quicker.

“Thank God because his compassions do no fail.” Lamentations 3:21-23
 
The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with his Love, He will rejoice over you with singing." -Zeph 3:17